Oizamisi Balogun is a Brand Development Manager at Digital Clarity Clan.
Picture this: Eriife was working on a campaign for a fitness app. She had a clear idea of the app’s features, benefits, and unique selling points. But as she started writing the copy, something felt off. Her words didn’t resonate, and the message fell flat. Determined to uncover the missing piece, Eriife decided to dive deep into the lives of her potential users.
She conducted surveys, and interviews, and observed online communities dedicated to fitness enthusiasts. Through this process, she unearthed valuable insights. She discovered that her audience wasn’t just looking for a workout app; they craved a sense of community, motivation, and support on their fitness journey. Armed with this knowledge, Eriife rewrote the copy from a fresh perspective, tapping into the emotions and aspirations of her ideal users.
The results were extraordinary. Engagement skyrocketed, conversion rates soared, and the app gained a passionate following. Eriife realized that the key to her success was her unwavering dedication to understanding her target audience.
So, my friends whether you’re creating marketing materials for a business, writing a blog post, or composing a social media caption, the key to success lies in understanding your target audience. After all, your message can only be effective if it resonates with the people you’re trying to reach.
To create copy that truly resonates, take the time to get to know your ideal target audience. Here are a few steps to guide you along the way:
- Research and analyze: Dive into market research, customer surveys, and social media monitoring to uncover valuable insights about your audience’s demographics, preferences, and pain points. You cannot help who you don’t know. When you understand your target audience, you know what drives them, what they’re interested in, and what they need. This is the only way you can tailor your messages right.
- Develop buyer personas: Create detailed profiles of your ideal customers, including their goals, motivations, challenges, and communication preferences. This will help you visualize and humanize your audience. When I just started my career, I used to think that buyers persona are overrated but now I know that’s the best thing you can do for your business. With a persona, you can use the right tone and language for your ideal target audience. A millennial or Gen Z for instance might appreciate a more casual tone and the use of emojis and memes in their social media copy but someone from an older generation might not understand this.
- Empathize and step into their shoes: Imagine yourself as a member of your target audience. Understand their aspirations, fears, and the problems they’re seeking to solve. This empathy will guide your messaging and allow you to speak directly to their hearts. Your target audience has problems and challenges that they want to solve. If you can identify those pain points and address them in your copy, your message will be more compelling. It shows that you understand your audience and can provide a solution that will benefit them.
- Craft tailored messages: Armed with your newfound knowledge, create copy that speaks directly to your audience’s needs, desires, and pain points. Use their language, highlight the benefits that matter to them, and address any objections they may have. People like to feel seen and understood. Writing copy that speaks to your audience’s needs, interests, and pain points creates a connection with them.
- Test, iterate, and optimize: Continuously monitor and measure the performance of your copy. Analyze the data, listen to feedback, and refine your messaging based on what resonates best with your audience.
Remember, effective copywriting is a journey, not a destination. Keep refining and adapting your approach as your audience evolves. With a deep understanding of your ideal target audience, you’ll unlock the power to captivate, persuade, and inspire action with your words.